Major Milestones of MPI, 2008-2015
- 13 April, 2007 – registration as a foundation approved by Domestic Trade, Consumerism and Cooperatives Minister Datuk Seri Shafie Afdal.
- May 27, 2007 – A Memorandum of Understanding signed with the Thomson Foundation of Cardiff, United Kingdom for cooperation in training. MPI represented by its Acting Chairman Datuk Chamil Wariya and Mr Russel Lyne the Head of Development of Thomson signed for the foundation at the Hotel Istana in Kuala Lumpur. The Information Minister Datuk Zainuddin Maidin witnessed the ceremony. Two International Journalism Fellowship (IJF), one in 2008 and another in 2009 had been succesfully carried out with Thomson’s cooperation. Also, a panel of experts of the Foundation provided separate training sessions for local journalists.
- January 1, 2008 – MPI carried out operations fully as a non-profit organisation. Datuk Chamil Wariya, commenced duties as the Chief Executive Officer while still being the chairman succeeding Datuk Seri Azman Ujang who relinquished his post after his retirement from BERNAMA.
- April 13, 2008 – The first International Journalist Fellowship programme launched by Information Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Chik at Rumah Universiti, Universiti Malaya, Kuala Lumpur.
- May 26, 2009 – MPI relocates to new premises, a former government quarters at 2945, Jalan Bukit Ledang, off Jalan Duta, Kuala Lumpur.
- November 10, 2009 – MPI collaborated with the United States Embassy Kuala Lumpur to organise the Workshop on Reporting on Trafficking in Persons.
- September 2, 2009 – Inks agreement with PETRONAS to continue sponsorship of the Malaysia MPI Petronas Journalism Awards Malaysia for a further five years until 2014. Prizes offered : RM300,000.00 for 13 categories contested. MPI represented by its Chief Executive Officer Datuk Chamil Wariya while PETRONAS by its Senior General Manager of Corporate Affairs. The signing was witnessed by Tan Sri Mohd Hassan Merican, the Chief Executive Officer of the national oil company.
- February 21, 2011 – The programme of Zamalah Wartawan 1Malaysia launched by Information, Communication and Culture Ministry Secretary General Datuk Seri Kamaruddin Siaraf on behalf of the minister Datuk Seri Utama Rais Yatim.
- March 13, 2011 – Signing of Memorandum of Understanding with Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM) for conducting academic courses at post graduate level, starting September 2011. The specialised programme was for journalists to persue for a master programme in managerial communication but could not be carried out because there were not enough participants. MPI was represented by Datuk Chamil Wariya and UUM by its Vice-Chancellor Datuk Dr. Mustapa Ishak.
- December 10, 2015 – The Institute of Journalism Studies (IJS), Universiti Teknologi MARA and MPI officially signed an agreement to collaborate in organizing seminars, research and publication.