MPI International Journalism Fellowship 2013
September 1, 2013
Registration of International Journalism Fellowship 2013 participants at the Peninsula Residence All Suite Hotel, Kuala Lumpur on September 1, 2013.
1. Vu Thuy Vi (Than Nien Newspaper,Vietnam) registering for the programme with Maimunah Abd Rashid, IJF Programme Moderator.
September 2, 2013
2. Datuk A. Kadir Jasin delivering his keynote address during the launching of the MPI International Journalism Fellowship 2013 on September 1, 2013 at the MPI training room.
3. Group picture taken after the programme launch. Seated from left to right, Vu Vi (Vietnam), Rasid Alhameer (Bahrain), Jefrey Canoy (Philippines), Dato’ Chamil Wariya, CEO, MPI, Datuk A. Kadir Jasin, Editor-in-Chief, Berita Publishing, Syed Agil Syed Jaafar, Editorial Manager, Utusan Melayu (M) Bhd. Llyod Gumbo (Zimbabwe) and Jonathan Aaron (Borneo Post).
Standing from left to right, Danny Kein (China Press), Farol Hadi (Utusan Karya), Eric Kristopher (RTM Kuching), Premananthini (NST), Monika Dilihari (Sri Lanka), Nor Diana Azis (Utusan Malaysia), Suresheka Samindi (Sri Lanka), Zaitie Satibi (Harian Metro), Jeannyora Mahin (RTM Sabah), Ahmad Farith Zahir (TV9), Mohd. Nasarudin Parzi (BH) and Muhammad Arasy Mohd. Azimi (TV3).
4. Dato’ Chamil Wariya and Datuk A. Kadir Jasin exchanging views on current issues on journalism with the IJF ’13 participants after the programme launch.
September 3, 2013
5. First session with Mr. Harvey Sernovitz, Information Officer, U.S. Embassy in Kuala Lumpur on ‘Journalism: Research Methodology’.
September 4 & 5, 2013
6. Kee Thuan Chye explaining on the best approach in writing good features in the ‘Feature Writing and Narrative Journalism’ module.
7. Lloyd Gumbo (Zaimbabwe), Prema (NST), Zaitie (Harian Metro) and Danny (The China Press) working hard for their feature writing presentation.
September 6, 2013
8. Chin Li Li, Programme officer from International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) shared her knowledge on International Humanitarian Law (IHL) which is applicable to conflict zones reporting.
Sureshika (Sri Lanka) and Noor Diana Azis presenting and discussing their assignment on IHL.
9. Eriko Motoyama, Program Director of Slope Watch from Public Works Department explaining the causes of land slides during the ‘Reporting on Natural Disaster: the Land Slides’ session.
September 9, 2013
10. Session on Business and Economic Reporting with B.K. Sidhu, News Editor, Business Desk of The Star.
11. Listening and digesting lectures on business writing.
September 10 &11, 2013
12. An interesting session with Mr. T. Selva, on investigative journalism.
13. Mock press conference, Mr. Nayagam (left) from SUHAKAM, answers questions posed by the participants during the ‘Interviewing Techniques for Journalists’ module.
September 12-16, 2013
14. First lesson on basic photography by D.J. Clark.
15. Photography: practical session.
16. Prema photographing ‘as it happens’.
Island hopping first destination..Beras Basah Island.
17. A good dip in the sea, relaxes the mind especially after a hard day’s work…
18. Next destination is to the legendary Tasik Dayang Bunting.
19. Jefry Canoy presents his multi-media assignment while DJ gives some comments.
20. Eric Kristopher receives his prize from D.J. Clark after winning the best multi-media work.
September 17-20, 2013
21. Dr. Eric Loo, a senior lecturer in journalism from University of Wollongong, Australia discusses ethical and responsible journalism in week three of the program.
22. DD, Arashy, Zaitie and Monika discussing their presentation on case studies of media reporting of ethno-religious conflict.
September 23, 2013
23. Visit to Star Media Hub in Shah Alam.
September 24, 2013
24. Norila Daud (left) from Utusan Malaysia, chairperson for the forum on “Media and Intergrity”. This forum is organised by the Malaysian Institute of Integrity in conjunction with The IJF 2013 program. Next to Norila is Mohamad Zakhir Mohamad (Big Dog) from Blog House Malaysia, Balan Moses, Executive Editor, The Sun and Dato’ Zainul Arifin, COO, Media Prima are the invited speakers.
25. Arasy asking a question on the level of integrity of the Malaysian media or journalists from the speakers’ perspectives.
26. Briefing on broadcast journalism by Azura Zainal Ratin, foreign news editor, TV3 at Seri Pentas training room.
Azura showing the processes involved in producing a TV programme.
September 25, 2013
27. Fun time at Petrosains.
September 26, 2013
28. S.N. Rajan in action during the module on the how to be an excellent reporter.
September 27-29, 2013
29. Strolling by the sidewalk in Melaka…
September 30, 2013
30. Briefing on Malaysia’s foreign policy by Nur Ayuni Zainal Abidin, Director of Policy Planning and Strategy Planning during a visit to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
31. More questions for Puan Sarimah Akbar, Director of Communications and Public Diplomacy after her briefing on roles and functions of media relations section of Wisma Putra.
October 1, 2013
32. Eric Kristopher (RTM Sarawak) receives his ‘best male IJF 2013 participant’ certificate from Mr. T. Selva.
33. Mr. T. Selva giving away the certificate of best male participant to Jefry Carulla Canoy (ABS-CNB Broadcasting, Phillipines).
34. Vu Thuy Vi (Vietnam) is the best female participant receiving her certificate from Mr. T. Selva.