Reporting on Children with Disabilities: A Media Workshop
In line with its mandate to support the realisation of full rights for all children in Malaysia and in conjunction with UNICEF’s global focus on children with disabilities this year, UNICEF Malaysia together with the Malaysian Press Institute (MPI) organised a media workshop for editors and journalists on reporting on children with disabilities on October 20, 2013 at the Park Royale Hotel, Kuala Lumpur.
The objective of the one day workshop was to facilitate understanding of the Convention on the Rights of the Child, particularly Article 23 which relates to children with disabilities, as well as the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities to support its use in articles as a basis to support arguments in favour of and in support of children with disabilities.
It was also to support media practitioners to write positive news on children with disabilities using powerful, enabling language in reporting, that includes their rights to participation, right to education and all other basic rights which may influence and persuade policy and decision makers to take action to strengthen protection and disability frameworks in the country.
In her opening speech of the workshop, Ms. Wivina Belmonte, UNICEF Representative to Malaysia hopes “the media or the media practitioners will support the implementation and inclusion of child rights in media reporting, focusing on child participation of children with disabilities in their writings.”
Thirty journalists from print, electronic and the new media attended the one day workshop.
Among the speakers were Mr. Phenny Kakama, Senior Child Protection Specialist, UNICEF Malaysia, Ms. Karen Cheah, Bar Council, Mr. Azril Che Ibrahim, Blind Futsal Player, Datuk Dr. Amar Singh, President, National Early Childhood Intervention Council, Ms. Wan Seet Peng, Mother and Disability Advocate, Muhammad Nasuha Mazlan, Intellectual Disability Futsal Player, Mr. Sunny Shalesh, Sports Coach and Disability Advocate, Ms. Indra Kumari Nadchatram, UNICEF Malaysia and Mr. Terence Ooi, Managing Director, Alpha245.
Mr. T. Selva, Associate Editor of The Star Mr. T. Selva moderated the programme.
Photo album for Reporting on Children with Disabilities: A Media Workshop
1. October 17, 2013, UNICEF-MPI Media Workshop on Reporting on Children with Disabilities participants, at Plaza 2 Hall, Park Royal Hotel Kuala Lumpur.
2. Participants listening intently to the presentation.
3. Briefing on the program by Mr. T. Selva, Associate Editor, The Star who is also the moderator for the day.
4. Puan Maimunah Abdul Rashid, representing MPI giving an opening remark.
5. Ms. Wivina Belmonte, UNICEF Representative during the program the launch.
6. Session 1, Mr. Phenny Kakama, Senior Child protection UNICEF giving an insight information on the Convention on the Rigths of the Child and the Convention on the Rights of Person with Disabilities.
7. Ms. Karen Cheah from the Bar Council Malaysia, presenting the legal perspectives on children with disabilities.
8. Mohd Azril Bin Che Ibrahim, sight impairment futsal player who shares his experiences.
9. Presenting the ‘Insights into the Life of a Child with Disabilities’ by Datuk Dr. Amar Singh.
10. Muhammad Nasuha Mazlan, learning impairment futsal player with his mother, Puan Nafidah Ismail who is and always the light of his life.
11. Session 3: Disabling Misconceptions, Enabling Children: Tackling prejudice and stigma towards children with disabilities speakers. From left, Puan Nafidah Ismail, Muhammad Nasuha Mazlan, learning impairment futsal player, Ms. Wan Seet Peng, Ms. Wan Seet Peng, Mother and Disability Advocate and Mr. Sunny Shalesh, Sports Coach and Disability Advocate.
12. Ms. Wan Seet Peng sharing her experience as a mother of a 13 years old daughter (Andrea) who was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy since birth. Andrea is now a painter.
13. Mr. Sunny Shalesh, a sports coach whose passion is coaching children with disabilities.
14. Session 5 – UNICEF’ Universal Children’s Day 2013: Campaign briefing about UNICEF Upcoming Activities (Colours of My World Stamps Disable to Enable and Queen’s Baton Relay) by Ms. Indra Kumari Nadchatram, UNICEF Malaysia.